Tales from the Sea Garden

Tales from The Sea Garden

Email me: theseagarden@btinternet.com

Thursday 7 October 2010

What a difference a day makes!

This was the tranquil scene that greeted me on arriving in Portscatho yesterday. The harbour looked so inviting I just had to take my camera down for a while and soak in the sun.

There wasn't a breath of wind in the shelter of the bay and it was actually hot!






Here I am standing outside the village post office; now compare this view with the one below, taken on the same spot at 5.30pm today!

Combine a strong easterly wind and a very high tide and this is the result: waves surging up the slipway and crashing against the sea wall, sending up huge plumes of spray



Fortunately there's a building between my little shop and the sea so it doesn't get the full force of nature thrown at it

You can see in the picture above where the sea wall had to be rebuilt after being washed away by a storm three years ago


Waves are breaking right over the harbour

It's so invigorating to watch, and you get buffeted by the wind and covered in sea spray, and the sound of the sea in all its wildness - I LOVE it! I'm afraid still photographs don't do it justice.......

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for those lovely photos Christine.
    I love Portscatho very much (and your wonderful little shop) but living miles away in Sussex I do not get to visit very often. I love storms and wild weather too especially by the sea - I can very nearly smell that air and feel the spray. Karen X

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing ...i love the salty taste on your lips after standing so close to the ocean ...lynnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. recently found your blog - love the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks amazing there is something very magical and mysterious about the sea it just draws you in no matter how rough or calm it is. Very relaxing and thought provoking. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what a fab place to live and work in ... i love the sea and the fact that it is gorgeous when its sunny but also fantastic when its windy!!
    gorgeous pics there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is why i love living by the sea......everyday is different, the conditions, the light,even the smells x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures of the "calm AFTER the storm".....such extreme weather we have in this country changing swiftly from one day to the next.
    I think I would be rather concerned living so close to the wild sea...do you not get a teeny bit scared?
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How bracing! I could almost feel the power of the sea and smell it!
    I think I would like to live in your neck of the woods!
    Any jobs going?
    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are having a lovely evening. I have just found your blog and am loving your pictures. I am very jealous of your little shop and the beautiful surroundings. In an ideal world (failing that a lottery win) i would love to live by the sea. Best wishes - jacquix

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the sea in all its glory.
    Fair or foul.

    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures, so much so I had to google the location. We have been going to Cornwall for 25+ years but this is not a port we have visited. Maybe next spring.
    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete