Tales from the Sea Garden

Tales from The Sea Garden

Email me: theseagarden@btinternet.com

Monday 14 July 2014

Wash day


 My washing line was looking very Victorian today, with several pairs of bloomers, a camisole, frilly shirt and two pairs of handmade sleeves. Some of these I wear and some will be for sale. A good wind meant that they were dry in half an hour.


I have started to plant up some containers for the terrace outside my bedroom. It gets full sun for most of the day, so anything I put out there needs to be able to withstand hot, dry conditions, especially when I go away and I'm not there to water. 


So things like lavender, sage, thyme, sedums, Bladder campion, pinks, Tanacetum, succulents and any silvery leaved plants should do pretty well. I'm also avoiding anything that snails eat! I've used old galvanised buckets and other containers recently found at antique fairs. 


 Alongside the wall I've put this large galvanised tub and planted it with two old fashioned roses: 'William Shakespeare' and 'Mary Rose', both of which smell heavenly; plus a few other pink and white flowered plants. I so enjoy going out onto my terrace in the morning and seeing how things are growing, I don't think I could live without a garden of some sort. In another life I would like to be a garden designer.......


Back in the studio I've been messing around with bits again....


It's great to keep a jar for all those little offcuts that would otherwise get thrown away.


 I experimented making a garland....


 and then moved on to some hearts stuffed with thistledown and home-grown lavender......







I hope you are all enjoying your summer x x x

15 comments:

  1. Your washing looks lovely on the line....& your containers are lovely too ....as is those adorable little hearts.....your shop sounds like just the kind of shop I would want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your laundry is so pretty. All my bloomers have worn to shreds but I am having a difficult time finding new ones.

    I wish I lived near so that I could visit your studio shop. Your hearts are so shabby sweet. I always want to sew after visiting you. Some day I will have a seeing machine again. You are a quiet inspiration. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine I look forward to the shop. Will you open all year round, best wishes xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. love love love your hearts, they are gorgeous xxxx
    Hugs
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is so fascinating here, my dear Christine, even on a laundry day if your clothes are so much Victorian, I do love them !!!
    Thank you so much for sharing xox
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it may please you, by me you can find a little surprise :)
    Have a lovely day
    Dany x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to meet you, Christine! I like your joyful world ...and your jars ...precious like a jewel case !
    A big hug ,
    Franca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks beautiful with your plants and washing line! I love your hearts and what you do with little fragments of cloth - I keep all my scraps in a jar too.... looking forward to seeing you and your lovely wares again at The Cotswold Vintage fair... Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Content.I have appreciate with getting lot of good and reliable information with your post.......
    Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......again, beautiful :) I love reading your posts. They make me happy . . I know something information, to know you can click here
    Pressure Cleaning Brisbane
    House washing brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really stunning work, always changing and fresh. I think you could already be a garden designer in this lifetime; A sideline?
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Content.I have appreciate with getting lot of good and reliable information with your post.......
    Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......again, beautiful :) I love reading your posts. They make me happy . . I know something information, to know you can click here
    House washing brisbane
    Pressure Cleaning Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, thank you for your great post. I really appreciate the efforts you have put in your blog .It is interesting and helpful. Good luck with it!!!House washing brisbane..Pressure Cleaning Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peças lindas! Tu tens muito bom gosto!

    ReplyDelete